WE ARE A SMALL LAW FIRM LOOKING FOR AN EXPERIENCED LEGAL ADMINISTRATOR TO TAKE US TO THE NEXT LEVEL AND BEYOND.
We are looking for a Professional Legal Administrator. This is an executive level position responsible for a wide range of activities in all phases of administration, personnel, finances, facilities, and business systems.
We need someone with significant hands-on experience. You will handle key administrative responsibilities and play a major role in shaping firm culture.
The successful applicant will have experience managing a team of more than 10 people and should have experience managing a budget of more than $3,000,000. This is not a position for an “Office Manager” or an “Administrative Assistant.”
We have put a lot of energy into building our “A team” and we need to take it to the next level. As you know, the Legal Administrator is a key hire; it is crucial that we get this right! Our process might take a little longer than you’re used to…but it’s worth it. If you take the time to read this ad and follow the instructions to apply, we will be excited for the chance to learn more about you.
About the position
This position is responsible for overseeing and improving both our team and our systems.
Our Legal Administrator will be responsible for planning and managing the day-to-day operations of the Firm, and for implementing Firm policies and procedures under the general guidance and supervision of the owner.
Our Legal Administrator will work in conjunction to help create and integrate the firm’s new initiatives.
Our Legal Administrator will create or improve all administrative functions in our firm. We are building a firm where systems run the business, and people run the systems.
You must be able to show evidence of your prior success with:
- Business process refinement and systems management to ensure profitable operation of the Firm
- Systems management to ensure matters are handed appropriately so that client needs are met, legal & ethical requirements are met, and clients receive excellent service
- Employee leadership, performance management, supervision (and termination), other Human Resource functions
- Understand and use common financial reports to make decisions (budget variance, P&L, cashflow forecast)
- Management of bookkeeper, accountant, technology systems and other vendors
- Not only adapt to change, but drive it
- Provide solutions, not just uncover problems
- Have a high energy level
- Have thick skin and high empathy
- Have a sense of humor in equal measure to your sense of compassion
- Have keen conflict resolution skills (not conflict avoidance skills)
- Be metrics-driven and KPI-obsessed
- We need someone with the experience and maturity to keep the Firm’s needs in the forefront and work closely with the Owner and key staff on strategy, policy, problem-solving, and decision-making.
- The ideal candidate understands that you cannot manage what you do not measure – and can help us figure out how to build systems to ensure we can measure and manage effectively.
- We need a Firm Administrator who is a rockstar of project management and systems development, who will be invested in making important contributions to the operating and financial success of the Firm.
li>What you can do is important. Who you are is equally important. The right person for this role must:
Our ideal candidate is not just comfortable with growth and change but thrives in an environment where people are constantly looking to improve the business and themselves. Our business grew fast, and while we are not a “start-up,” we have a growth-focused environment.
Working with us can prove to be the best job you ever had or the most frustrating … depending on your flexibility, team-spirit, commitment to our clients, and your realistic expectations about what it’s like to work in a fast- paced growing business with a passionate and entrepreneurial owner.
Prior legal experience is required. Knowledge of estate and elder law will be helpful but is not required. If you don’t know how the estate planning and administration processes work, you need to commit to getting up to speed quickly because you will be expected to make sure cases and clients are getting the attention they need and that the staff is following the rules.
Salary is dependent upon experience and includes an incentive program commensurate with performance. We will define specific KPIs for expected law firm growth, profitability, and culture.
TO APPLY, WE NEED YOU TO FOLLOW THIS PROCESS.
This will be a multi-step interview process so we can get to know each other and make sure we are a good fit; this is the first step. If you don’t follow the instructions for applying, your journey stops here. (Yes, we are serious about this. Following instructions is pretty important for a Law Firm Administrator who is supposed to make sure everyone follows the rules.) Send an email to [email protected] and attach a PDF of your resume’ and a cover letter. The letter should tell us (a) why you would be great for this job and (b) what makes you nervous about this job.
The subject line of the email should say: “Your Next Administrator”
We do good work and take great satisfaction in helping navigate a very complex legal system. Nothing makes us happier than the expression of relief or gratitude on our client’s face at the end of a job well done. We want to be profitable, too. We also care about our work family and we are very dedicated to maintaining a positive and upbeat work environment. If this sounds like a law firm you want to work at and a job you can do, I very much look forward to talking with you soon.